Your smartphone has the ability to run all kinds of apps, from games, travel guides and weather forecasts to social networking, to do lists and online shopping.
But have you ever thought of having your own app to promote your business?
And did you know it’s not as expensive as you might think it is to develop an app?
What is an app?
Let’s start with the basics. The term ‘app’ commonly refers to a mobile application which is software designed to run on smartphones, tablet computers and other mobile devices. The term “app” has become popular, and in 2010 was listed as “Word of the Year” by the American Dialect Society.
Why should I develop one?
WPP chief executive, Sir Martin Sorrell summarises this quite nicely (Source), “Apps enable brands to connect with consumers at numerous touchpoints, whether at home or in the shops.”Applications will be a significant opportunity for retailers to open another virtual shop, with the added benefit of it being in consumers’ pockets both when they are out shopping – ‘Can I get it cheaper elsewhere?’
“Mobile business apps are a powerful marketing tool and the potential for retailers and other business to consumer businesses is huge. You can integrate your web site and social media marketing letting your customer experience your brand in their hand.
You can also use apps to increase customer loyalty and generate new customers by offering loyalty schemes and special offers.
Will my customers use them?
Yes! Just take a look at these facts and figures.
- In 2011 there were 835 million smartphone users, 5.6 billion feature phone users (Business Insider)
- Global internet usage will more than double by 2015, and most of these users will be mobile (Business Insider)
- 64% of mobile phone time is spent on apps (Nielsen 2012)
- Adults spend more media time on mobile than newspapers and magazines combined (eMarketer)
- 61% of customers who visit a mobile unfriendly site are likely to go to a competitor’s site (IAB)— Apr 1, 2013